When an accident happens on the busy roadways of Houston, it can be a stressful situation to say the least. Accidents involving buses, in particular, can compound this stress as they often can cause significant damage both to passengers and others on the road. Recently, a Greyhound bus crash with an 18-wheeler occurred, causing a slew of injuries.
The Greyhound bus crashed with an 18-wheeler traveling southbound on Interstate-45. The incident left several people injured and hundreds of bottles of water and debris littering the highway. The bus, which was carrying 26 passengers, was disabled on the shoulder of the highway near Lake Woodlands Drive and had called for another bus to come retrieve its passengers.
Unfortunately, the bus was hit on its rear left side by an Anheuser-Busch 18-wheeler carrying bottled water. The impact sent the water and debris into oncoming traffic, injuring five bus passengers who were sent to Hermann Memorial The Woodlands Hospital for their injuries.
The Dangers of Bus Accidents
Though there is a convenience factor that comes with riding a bus, it’s important to remember these vehicles are large, heavy pieces of machinery that can cause quite a bit of damage when involved in an accident like the Greyhound bus crash. Just as with car accidents, there are often many factors at play when a bus accident occurs. Some of the most common causes of bus accidents include:
- Bus company negligence: The motor coach industry transports nearly 700 million people every year in the U.S.; however, the record keeping and inspection protocols are not as stringent as with other modes of transportation, such as those within the airline industry, for example.
- Bus driver negligence: Though there are many laws in place regulating bus drivers, they are not always followed.
- Bus driver fatigue: Driver fatigue is a top cause of motor vehicle accidents in the United States, and it greatly increases the chances of an accident. Bus drivers often work long shifts, making the chances of driver fatigue fairly high.
- Bad weather conditions: Inclement weather and/or poor weather conditions combined with the weight of a bus and its inability to quickly maneuver can cause a bus accident.
- Blind spots: Though buses are equipped with mirrors to minimize the chance of a blind spot, the sheer mass of the vehicle can impede the driver’s ability to see their full surroundings.
- Left turns: Left turn bus accidents are fairly common, as turning left in a bus can actually create blind spots behind the left portion of the bus as it becomes temporarily obstructed during the turn.
- Other negligent drivers: With many drivers on the road at one time, serious accidents can occur when other drivers are distracted or negligent.
- Bus fires: Bus fires are a particular cause for concern as passengers at the rear could have difficulty escaping. Escape hatches can sometimes be too small for certain passengers and fumes can overcome passengers before they have an opportunity to exit.
Greyhound Bus Crash Attorneys
Bus accidents can be particularly devastating to those involved. The heavy weight of a bus can cause serious damage, especially in the event the vehicle overturns. Seeking compensation after a traumatic event such as a Greyhound bus crash can be difficult. The experienced trial attorneys at Adame Garza have worked with hundreds of accident victims. If you or a loved one has been involved in a bus accident, contact us today to discuss your case in a free consultation.