The Dangers of Cell Phone Use While Driving
According to the Pew Research Center, over 90% of adults own a cell phone, and unfortunately, some of these people use their cell phones while driving. While any distraction while driving is dangerous, using a cell phone presents unique risks to drivers and surrounding motorists.
How Are Drivers Using Their Cell Phones?
With advances in technology, cell phones provide an entirely new set of distractions to drivers. Many drivers admit to talking on their cell phone or texting while driving, but a recent poll discovered one-third of all drivers admitted to checking the social media site Facebook while driving. Unfortunately, this wasn’t the only activity drivers admitted to engaging in while driving.
Dangerous smartphone activities while driving include:
- Email – Approximately one-third of all drivers check email while driving.
- Facebook – With Facebook’s multiple sharing features, as many as 33% of adults admitted to using Facebook while driving.
- Surf the Internet – An astonishing 28% of people surf the Internet while driving.
- Take pictures – 17% of people take photos while driving and share them on social media or with friends.
- Posting on Twitter and Instagram – Approximately 14% of drivers admitted to checking and posting on Twitter and Instagram behind the wheel.
- Take video – 12% of drivers use their phones to take videos while driving.
- Video chat – One out of every ten drivers engaged in video chat while driving.
These distracted driving behaviors are incredibly dangerous because they take the driver’s eyes off the road and hands off the steering wheel. While many drivers who engage in these behaviors do so because they believe they can do them safely, the reality is using a cell phone while driving is like driving blindfolded.
Drivers who use their cell phones while driving not only put themselves at risk for injury or death, but also risk the lives of other motorists on the roadway and any nearby pedestrians.
Houston Distracted Driving Accident Attorneys
If you or someone you love was injured in a Houston car accident caused by someone using a cell phone while driving, you may be entitled to compensation. Call the experienced Houston distracted driving accident attorneys at Adame Garza LLP today for a free consultation. We can evaluate your claim and help you understand your legal options. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.